Monday, July 4, 2011

Day 9!

Yup so today was my first day at Sogang.  I actually took the bus and subway all by myself (total of like an hour and 10 minutes + a walk) to Sogang.  We had like a test thing-a-majig thing for placement today...but it was really "write all about yourself in Korean" and "talk to this random lady" for the writing and speaking exams.  Yeah....and after that a few friends and I went shopping near Ewha.  It was pretty cool.

So, while I'm at it, I'll recap the past few days :D (I'm actually sitting at a computer now....oh how I've missed the computer).

Day 1 (6.26): Got on a plane, got to NYC...had to wait for a super shuttle for an hour.  Sat in the super shuttle for 2 hours in a scary ride to Columbia...and might I add- the rear view mirror was useless since all the luggage was stacked up to the top of the super shuttle -.-;  Got to Columbia, unpacked, met people, etc...oh yeah and Kaitlyn will tell you all about ajusshi haha.

Day 2 (6.27): Orientation day...yay. Not. It was a bit...idk. Anyway, after the who knows how many hours it was orientation, went back to the dorms, met up with some friends, went out for dinner, then went to the hobo park...yes. hobo park. Actually it has a proper name but it shall be called the hobo park.  Don't ask.  Then my dorm room had a lovely conversation about a lot of things including kpop.  That was fun :)

Day 3 (6.28): Packed bags, waited for the bus...oh wait. I had to take the super shuttle.  Oh well, at least the super shuttle people got dropped off at the right place unlike the bus people who had to walk around the airport because they got dropped off at the wrong place.  Anyway, got on the plane...wheeee. Yeah. Very long plane ride which I did not sleep on.  Actually, I spent most of my time watching the movies they played.  It wasn't all that bad minus the fact that my butt hurt afterwards. 

Day 4 (6.29): Got to Tokyo :D  Went shopping for some random Japanese looking keychains and then  hopped on the plane to Seoul and pretty much slept the whole plane ride.  It was only 2 hours though.  Anyway, got to the airport where the YES International people were waiting.  Might I add, the Tokyo and Seoul airports are WAYYY cleaner than the airports in the US.  Anyway, hopped on the bus to the youth hostel which was like an hour away.  The coach bus was like a karaoke bus...but we were all too wiped out to do any karaoke.  Plus it was midnight and after like 15 hours on a plane...you really don't want to do anything.  Then we got to the youth hostel where we got to our dorms of 10 people and then proceeded to create a shower line.  Shower = <3 

Day 5 (6.30): Got up...Uh...what did I do?  Oh yeah, we went to the US Embassy in Korea for the opening ceremony and then went and ate lunch and looked around the area.  We then met with our supporters and then we had a mission (aka me getting sent to Noryanjin aka the fish market).  Then we went shopping in Myong-dong which was really fun.  My supporter (Kanya) took Caroline and I to a place to eat mul-naengmeung and then popingsu :D.  It was tasty.  Then we went shopping and walked around and then walked all the way from Myong-dong to the youth hostel which a) none of us really knew where we were going and b) it was really a long walk.  We ran into one of the Resident Directors on the way there (Kyung nam) who was going to go find some lost people and was going the opposite direction and then when we finally got to the top of the hill and to the youth hostel...HE WAS ALREADY THERE. Our supporter walked in and she was like O_O how'd he get here already?? Turns out, he took a taxi because he didn't want to walk up the hill.  Talk about lazy (thus is why he should be called haraboji) Seriously. 

Day 6 (7.1): We had another orientation today and it actually wasn't that bad.  It was quite entertaining because the coordinators stuck in games and made it fun.  Sure beat the orientation back in NYC...no offense.  Anyway, after the orientation, everyone else got to run around Myong-dong while I got notice that I was to pack my belongings and get ready to be picked up by my host family early!  Luckly as I was rather clean and conscious about packing and unpacking, I really didn't have much to pack.  I was to be picked up at 7 and it was 6 so I just sat in the lobby for an hour talking to the YES people and the RDs.  That was quite interesting I must say.  Once again I was made fun of for this Korean dialect accent that I some how have acquired.  I've been asked if I came from a certain part of Korea because of this dialect accent thing I have.  (There are 3 area dialects in Korea and I happen to sort of have one that is not of the area) Great.  Anyway, my host sister came and picked me up and then my host father came with a big bus to pick both of us up.  Rather convenient I must say.  So I got to my host family house, unpacked, took a shower, and went to bed.  I actually have my own room!  Rather exciting.

Day 7 (7.2): So my host sister took me shopping and to Sogang.  We also went to Ewha which is the university she attends.  The shopping district around Ewha is pretty cool.  She also bought me lunch which was delicious and then I bought dessert.  Yum.  Then after shopping, we went back home and then chilled.

Day 8 (7.3): I went to church alone.  It was...different.  I mean, they made everything seem like it was part of a kiddy song.  It was really. weird.  Anyway, it was like monsoon raining all day so I got to stay home.  SO. BORED. REALLY. BORED. I WAS SOOOOOOOOOO BORED. 

Day 9 (7.4): I took the bus and the subway to Sogang, took the placement test and then went shopping and went out to eat with my friends.  It was pretty fun.  We had korean-american-idk pizza and some street food.  Street food in Korea is safer than street food in the US...you don't have to worry about there being like drugs in your smoothie.  After roaming the streets, I took the subway back home and I made it!  Alive! Yes...I am still alive as I am typing this.  Anyway, fo-cereal-class starts tomorrow...so we'll see how that goes.

2 comments:

  1. Hostellers are in the main more interested in meeting other people than your usual backpacker, so it's much easier to get in touch with them.

    Albergue Da Juventude

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait what? You were alive while typing this. That is amazing... lol hopefully you don't get yourself killed. I miss you a lot. It's upsetting that we only really kind of talked for like an hour :( Anyway, have fun and don't do anything stupid. =P See you in a month and like two weeks.

    ReplyDelete