Sunday, July 24, 2011

부천 한-미 검프

Bucheon Korean American Cultural Camp

No, this wasn't an outdoors camp but rather it was indoors in an actually pretty nice hostel.  It was better than the first one we stayed in. Anyway, so I had to leave the house at like 7AM to get to our meeting point before 8:20.  (this was Saturday morning- July 23rd - day 28) Anyway, so we got on the coach bus and we drove down to Bucheon and then went to the hostel first and dropped off our belongings.  We then met up with the Korean high school students participating in this camp and then headed for city hall where we had the opening ceremony along with a few ice breakers.  One of the ice breakers we did was to memorize everyone's name along with the action they put to their name. Have I mentioned...my memory is equivalent to the attention spam of a baby...aka not very good. ^We had teams and I was in team 1 (there were 10 teams that were decided ahead of time by the coordinators and staff).  Then with our teams we had to come up with a team dance slogan while we ate lunch together. So we had a difficult time coming up with a dance/slogan and Youngmin who was one of the dance/slogan judges didn't make it easier for us to pass to go to the next stage to get our mission.  We finally passed after a lot of trouble and got to the second task which was a quiz which we easily did.  Our mission was to go to this manhwa museum and this rose garden.  We had to draw a comic and then take a picture in the rose garden.  We only had 4.5 hours to do all of this and the places were a bit far away.  So we went to the museum first and saw all the cartoons and such. It was pretty interesting. We then sat down in a random corner to draw this comic.  We were slightly still resentful for having such a hard time trying to pass the dance slogan stage of this mission that we decided to draw our comic about Youngmin. The story line goes something along the lines of Youngmin is at a karaoke place and then he sings horribly and then he wants to put love locks on Namsan tower but the girl he likes rejects this idea and then pushes him down the tower and lands in the nearby market where there is a restaurant where he eats something really spicy and has to go to the bathroom but there is no toilet paper. From there it is "to be continued." Yes I realize this makes hardly any sense but that was the point.  We had to present this later (which I will get to later).  I should probably mention we had a group leader who is a college student.  His name was Saehwan and he was pretty cool and quite attached to his camera.  Anyway, we basically had no time to do our second mission so we decided to just go back (on the lovely so crowded bus).  However we stumbled upon a stand that was selling roses so we bought a dozen and then each of us got one and we took a picture in a park nearby the hostel.  The picture turned out really cool.  I'll have to get it from someone but anyway then we got back to the air-conditioned hostel where we had dinner.  I sat with Gooseul and Haemi.  Then   ...it was presentation time. Our group presented 4th and it was so hilarious because we had Katarina act as Youngmin speaking in an Indian accent and Abel narrating. Everyone in the room was laughing...it was that good (trust me).  Anyway, we ended up winning the best presentation award and got neck pillows which are nice might I add.  I think our group picture was the prettiest but no one except Youngmin voted for us because our picture was shown first and people didn't know which one to pick but it's okay. Anyway, we then had to practice for the talent show that was to be on Sunday.  I had nothing to practice for because I wasn't singing with this one group anymore but instead I wasn't doing anything. Hehe. Anyway, so I just walked around for the longest time and I even went to go get ice cream for the YES people and myself. Then I went to my hostel room where I took a shower and hung out with one of my new Korean friends 예영 in our room.  It was basically a party outside the rooms.  It was super crazy.  I ended up sitting in the room with all the staff with Eunice for a while where I talked to 혜미 for a while. Talking to Haemi is always entertaining because she's always so calm (she's like the head coordinator from YES International for our program).  She could be placed in a Buddhist temple with a gourd and a stick to hit the gourd with.  She seriously is very calm and chill and she also keeps up a "I am a scary person so behave" act which isn't true at all because she really isn't scary at all.  Anyway, I also talked to everyone else in the room.  I ended up learning a few new Korean hand games and Eunice and I played them with Jonghyun and Gooseul.  Then I got a hold of Youngmin's phone and looked at that for a while. People were playing truth or dare outside in the hall and Youngmin went out there for like five minutes and dared Ellen to kiss Jonghyun on the cheek.  When they came hunting for Jonghyun he was like Nooooooo but then Youngmin said he was embarrassing Ellen so it ended up happening and it all got on tape.  It was pretty funny.  Then I ended up watching  Hyemin and Jonghyun practicing for MCing for the talent show.  I really got to talk to Youngmin more.  There was pieces of foam board sitting around and we ended up throwing them at each other (which trust me we were pretty bored). For a while it was just me with the staff because Eunice had left but later Caroline walked in and all three of us talked but in English (earlier it had been Korean).  Anyway, it was all pretty fun and we ended up leaving the room at 3 in the morning. I was there for like 4 hours.  The hall was too much of a hostile environment for me to try and get past earlier that night.  Anyway so we got back to the room and we talked for a little and then all went to sleep.  

That morning (Sunday July 24th day 29) we had breakfast at like 8:30 and then we went to the talent show venue where I learned that I would get to do a last minute piano performance which could have gone better but whatever (the first time I mixed Yiruma with Lady Gaga) -___- Anyway, we practiced and then had our talent show and then went to eat lunch at a Chinese restaurant.  Then we went back to the hostel and had our closing ceremony.  We then grabbed our belongings and then left the Korean students :( we took many pictures to remember the moment though.  I was going to get a picture with Saehwan and Yeyung and we asked Christina to take the picture but then she was like so I'm not in the group anymore and we were like noo...and then we asked Katarina who said the same thing and eventually the group got really big and we had someone take our picture.  It was cute.  We got on the bus and headed for 홍대.  On the bus Gooseul and Youngmin had some weird antics...and I thought I was weird.  Anyway after we got off the bus we decided we were going to go do some karaoke on Tuesday possibly after school so yeahㅋㅋㅋ that is all for now. Man I'm sleepy >.<..typing blog posts out on the iPod touch is not easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment